Ports and Terminals

Montevideo Bulk Terminal surpasses whole shipped volume of 2018 in November

Dec, 02, 2019 Posted by Sylvia Schandert

Week 201949

The Montevideo Bulk Terminal (TGM) shipped 725,000 tons of bulk cargo in the first 11 months of 2019 and, 30 days before the end of the year, has already exceeded the 2018 record by 52%, announced the company’s general manager Agustín Idoyaga.

The company emerged from the partnership between the Uruguayan group Christophersen SA and the Brazilian Hidrovías do Brasil SA when, in 2010, it obtained the concession to build and operate a specialized bulk collection and dispatch terminal which began operating in 2014 and had required an investment of US$80m.

The private docking station provided by the company is the deepest on the Paraguay-Paraná Waterway, -12 meters (40 feet), which allows loading of Panamax and Post-Panamax vessels of up to 280 meters. The installed storage capacity is 120,000 tons distributed in 12 silos and the loading capacity of the ships is 1,200 tons/hour.

“80% of the total shipped in 2019 is soybean, but we are also receiving soybean meal, rapeseed, barley, wheat, and corn. 78% of the company’s soybeans were shipped to China and the remaining 22% had a group of countries: Italy, Turkey, Greece, Egypt, the Netherlands, and Germany. 70% of our shipments are from Uruguay and the rest of the Paraná-Paraguay waterway,” said Idoyaga.

It is worth noting that the TGM is included in the Port Authority’s 2018-2035 Master Plan. The company integrates a set of specialized terminals that will operate in the port of Montevideo for the next decades. In addition to the bulk activity, there are other projects, such as the specialized container terminal, a fishing terminal and a pulp terminal, which will have access to the railways. These last two ventures are under construction.

Source: Mundo Marítimo

Sharing is caring!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *